Joyland is a literary magazine that selects fiction and essays regionally. Our editors work with stories and excerpts by authors connected to locales across North America.
Picked by the CBC as part of the Top 100 of 2008, Joyland has been called "the go-to spot for readers seeking the best voices in short fiction."
In an article on the state of literary magazines, Q&Q proclaimed, “A savvy, sleek publication, devoted entirely to new short fiction. Joyland boasts editors in several major North American cities, and has published marquee names such as Jonathan Lethem and Lydia Millet … The future of literary magazines is already here.”
Joyland was created by Emily Schultz and Brian Joseph Davis. It was designed and developed by Ross Merriam.
Publishers Brian Joseph Davis, Emily Schultz
Senior Editors Kevin Chong (Vancouver) Brian Joseph Davis (New York) Kara Levy (San Francisco) David McGimpsey (Montreal & Atlantic) Anna Prushinskaya (Midwest) Emily M. Keeler (Toronto) Mathew Timmons (Los Angeles)
Web Developer Ross Merriam
Editors Emeriti Levi Stahl, Benjamin Wood, Casey McKinney, Edward Gauvin, Wyatt Williams, Janine Armin, Charles McLeod.
For general queries: Brian Joseph Davis email@example.com
"I have a theory of art: set up an arbitrary set of rules and then follow them slavishly." --Errol Morris
-These are submission guidelines for fiction and essays. If you're submitting poetry, you should go through our other site here.
-Currently, all Joyland fiction editors are accepting submissions at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Each editor works with authors with some connection to their area. It's pretty loose: living in the respective city or region for any amount of time is qualification enough for submission. The city-as-setting is in no way mandatory.
- Send story as email paste-in (no attachments please) with a short bio, and your subject line should read:
[CITY OR REGION][YOUR STORY TITLE]. Eg. NEW YORK "Tapping a Maple on a Cold Vermont Morning"
-You must list one of our city/region sections. Submissions to the Consulate section are open to writers in any country or in translation.
- Joyland only publishes short fiction, novel excerpts and personal essays. There are no word count guidelines per se but we do like things between 1200 and 8000 words.
- You may submit only one story every three months, unless requested by an editor. We encourage simultaneous submissions.
- We also have rejection guidelines, which you should read HERE.
-Hint: Read Joyland and take note of our editors and what kind of writing they publish in their sections.
Joyland is supported by its readers and power donors: Anne McDermid & Associates, Susan Swan, Jessica Westhead, Sesshu Foster, David Caron, Grace O'Connell.
Nous remercions de son soutien le Conseil des Arts du Canada, qui a investi 20,1 millions de dollars l'an dernier dans les lettres et l'édition à travers le Canada.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.